It’s still “business as usual” at Evo Supplies, as we are not included amongst the categories of businesses required to close during the January 2021 Lockdown. However, the ongoing Pandemic does nevertheless occasionally impact both our production capacity and shipping times.
Supply chains for the materials and components we use are disrupted from time to time, and this became particularly apparent in December, with chaos at UK ports caused by a backlog of containers preventing ships from docking and unloading their cargo. The UK supply of removals blankets remains significantly disrupted by the problems at Felixstowe and other UK points of entry.
As a small business, when members of staff are required to self-isolate this can cause a temporary reduction in our production capacity. We will always let customers know if Covid-related issues are likely to increase the lead time on orders.
In our warehouse, workshop and office, we are taking every possible precaution to keep both our staff and visitors safe. We have carried out a full risk assessment, installed hand sanitising stations and implemented comprehensive signage and floor markings in all areas. Our current in-house Covid Policy is set out below. We are proud that a recent spot-check inspection by the Health & Safety Executive confirmed that Evo Supplies is following best practice on every front.
- Hands must be sanitised by everyone on entering or leaving the building. There are pump dispensers in reception and in the office and wall-mounted dispensers in both buildings. Hands should also be washed with soap and hot water frequently throughout the day.
- Strict social distancing must be observed at all times.
- When two people are working in the same workspace – whether in the workshop, warehouse or office, masks must be worn.
- Single-use masks must be disposed of at the end of each day. Always wash or sanitise hands after removing mask.
- Wipe the handles of shared tools after use, including wood saw and forklift.
- Wear disposable gloves in the workshop whenever practicable, and dispose of them after use and at the end of each day.
- Clearly label all non-disposable protective gloves used for handling wood etc. Use only your own gloves, and please take them home to launder on days when they are used.
- Minimise sharing of desks, chairs, keyboards or printers. After unavoidably sitting at someone else’s desk, you must sanitise keyboard, mouse, printer touchpad, touched areas of desk and chair arms afterwards.
- Wash all mugs, crockery and cutlery in very hot soapy water after use.
- Establish and abide by each courier’s, postal worker’s and pallet haulier’s distancing protocols. Do not share pens or use touch-screen devices. Wash or sanitise hands immediately after handling delivered items. Wear a mask when helping a driver to load or unload.
- Launder all work clothing and reusable masks overnight.
- The end-of-day cleaning routine must be followed, and a dated checklist completed and signed. Please allow plenty of time to do so before the end of the working day.
Juliet Dunn, Managing Director, January 2021